Monday, April 1, 2013

Towards the Setting Sun



Hello everyone,

As I culminate my term as a Peace Corps Volunteer, I have been reflecting extensively on the time that I have spent in Dominica.  Throughout this twenty-seven month adventure, I have been through many unforgettable experiences and have grown tremendously in many ways.  This entry will be the final post as my status as a Peace Corps Volunteer or “PCV” will be changed to a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer or a “RPCV” very soon.

Working full-time with the objective of positively developing and nurturing at-risk youth has taught me many valuable lessons about responsibility and duty for people who are in vulnerable situations.  My parents and mentors throughout my entire existence have always instilled the value in me of assisting others who may need a bit of help as it is the ‘right thing to do.’  Since my inception as a Peace Corps Volunteer, I have been fervently putting their words of advice into practice while being the best servant and resource person that I could be for the Dominicans.

The ChildFund staff members and I have accomplished fantastic outcomes from our efforts within the communities on the east coast of Dominica.  While tackling the most difficult issues pertaining to Dominica, we have made enormous strides in positively impacting and altering the perspectives of thousands of youth through our programs and initiatives.  Their battle will continue into the future but they have assured me that my impact on them as development workers, professionals, and individuals in general has been immeasurable.  They know that, in turn, their guidance and presence in my life has changed me for the better, as well. 

I will post the transcript of my Peace Corps Description of Service in a link between the ‘Home’ and ‘Dominica 2012’ ones on the top of the page for those interested in reading it.  After the Country Director of Peace Corps in the Eastern Caribbean sends the Description of Service to the Peace Corps Headquarters in Washington D.C., it will be on record and available to access publicly for sixty years.

The most rewarding aspect for me of being in the Peace Corps has been building the close relationships with people in the community where I was assigned.  A few select individuals in Castle Bruce have not only become more than just acquaintances or close friends to me but they feel just like family.  While I am excited to return to the U.S. to see family and close friends, my heart aches when I think about departing from the Dominican people who I love and care about so much.  The loving kindness, compassion, and generosity that they have bestowed upon me make me yearn to be around them forever. 

The people who are just like family to me have transcended me to another level as a maturing young adult.  By interacting with them, I have made several realizations about my own life just from the wisdom and insight that they have imparted upon me.  Their acceptance and trust in me in their lives has reiterated the fact to me that I have the potential to be a wonderful, impactful individual for many other people throughout my entire adulthood. 

At this juncture in my life, I have been focusing on ‘spreading’ my proverbial wings in search of gaining life experiences, knowledge, and wisdom.  I have spent the past many years concentrating on personal expansion with accruing a major cost of not remaining as close as I probably could have to family and close friends.  The Dominicans who I developed the family-like relationship with have reawakened my appreciation for valuing the people who I care about in my life.  The adoration and kindness they show one another and me in their family settings is very comforting.  With them, love is always shining.  Their belief in me coupled with loving and accepting me into their lives has led me to great strides in increasing my levels of self-confidence and self-love.

Even though I will be leaving them soon, I know that their presence will be with me wherever I will go.  They have resolutely etched themselves into the depths of my heart.  I have limitless love for them.  I may heartbreakingly not be able to be in their general proximity very soon but they understand that whenever they need me; I will always be available to them.  Connections define one’s life.

In closing, John F. Kennedy, while giving his Inaugural Address which created the idea of the Peace Corps over fifty years ago, once famously stated, “Ask not what your country can do for you but ask what you can do for your country.”  His words  resonate presently in a world of people that more than ever need to adopt his ideals towards assisting each other in any capacity possible.

The Peace Corps gives Americans and people from other countries the opportunity to adopt more acceptance, tolerance, and understanding of one another.  With respect, kindness, and compassion comes peace and unity.  I am honored and humbled that I was able to successfully be part of something with such an esteemed legacy like the Peace Corps. 

Thank you to the countless individuals who have supported me throughout my Peace Corps campaign.  I really appreciate all of your kindheartedness and assistance while I had the opportunity to live through this life-altering journey.

All the best,

Joe

1 comment:

  1. Hi Joe,

    Sorry to bother you.  My name is Ray Blakney and I am an RPCV from Mexico (2006-2008). Hope you are enjoying RPCV life. I am working on a 3rd goal project with the PC regional offices and the main office in DC to try to create an online archive to keep the language training material made all over the world from getting lost.  I have created a sub-section on the website my wife and I run Live Lingua with all the information I have been able to get to date (from over the web and sent to me directly by PC staff and PCV's).  I currently have close to 100 languages with ebooks, audios, and even some videos. 
     
    The next step for this project is that I am trying to get the word out about this resource so that it can not only be used by PCV's or those accepted into the Peace Corps, but also so that when people run across material that is not on the site they can send it to me and I can get it up for everybody to use.  I was hoping that you could help getting the word out by putting a link on this on your site here, so that people know it is there.  There should be something there for almost everybody.  It is all 100% free to use and share.  Here is the specific page to what we call the Live Lingua Project:


    http://www.livelingua.com/project/

    Thanks for any help you can provide in making this 3rd goal project a success.   And if anybody in your group has some old material they can scan or already have in digital form, and want to add to the archive, please don't hesitate to pass them my email.  Thanks and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete