Tuesday, February 15, 2011

"The Nature Island"


Greetings everyone!

I’ve been on Dominica for about ten days and have absolutely enjoyed every minute thus far!  I’ve had so many new experiences since I’ve been here.  The scenic views across the entire island are simply magnificent.  As our plane was landing, I felt like I was in a scene from Jurassic Park or Avatar.  The vegetation is remarkable.  It amazes me how everything is so natural.

The island of Dominica only has about 70,000 people who live on it.  The towns and villages are only positioned on the coasts of the island.  The entire middle of the island consists of mostly untouched rainforest and mountains.  A few narrow, winding roads exist through the middle of the island to transport people and materials from one side to the other.  

I live in a rural village on the east coast or windward side of the island called Castle Bruce.  The village is located on a mountain side that overlooks the Atlantic Ocean.  The ocean is literally blocks away from where I am staying although I haven’t swum in it because the waves are extremely intimidating.  The east coast of the island is way less populated relative to the west coast.  The west coast has the two largest cities of Roseau and Portsmouth.  The Peace Corps office is located in the capital city of Roseau which is where I train on most days.  I take a 45-60 minute bus ride to get to Roseau and then back each day to Castle Bruce.  I really enjoy the peaceful calmness that I receive in Castle Bruce.  I’m very happy to inhabit the slower-paced east coast!

I completed a site observation of Child's Fund, a non-government organization, that I will be working with throughout my two years.  With Child's Fund, I'll be working predominately in the Carib Territory which is the most poverty-stricken area of Dominica.  About 3,000 people live in the Carib Territory which is comprised of the indigenous people of the island.  I was very humbled by the way the people reside there.  They live in a very primitive fashion.  Over 50% of the people in the village do not even have running water spouts in their yards let alone having running water inside of where they live.   Everyone I was introduced to in the village was extremely welcoming so I am really looking forward to building relationships with them.  Plus, my point person from Child’s Fund is extremely cool and knowledgeable about the Carib Territorty since he has lived there his entire life. 

Currently, I live with a host family until I finish training in April then I will move into my own place.  I have really enjoyed spending time with my host family!  They have been so welcoming and shown so much care towards me.  I feel very fortunate for knowing them because they are very respected throughout the village.  Also, they have shown me so many different things that I have never experienced prior to living on Dominica.

I assisted in the process of harvesting my host father’s bananas at his farm.  It was so cool to see him work so efficiently cutting the bananas down and checking them for bruises.  Then we cleansed the bananas before we put them in packages to be sent out to Great Britain.  The farm is so beautiful and has a peaceful, scenic river that runs along the back of it where I hung out for awhile.  The water is safe to drink so I obviously filled up my water bottle and it was delicious.

Also, I have helped in the process of making cocoa tea from the cocoa trees.  Speaking of tea, my host father picks plants from the backyard that we use as tea.  He calls it “Bush tea.”  Besides the cocoa tea, I’ve had basil, rosemary, bay leaf, lemongrass, and “puave” teas.  “Puave” is a Kweyol word that doesn’t have an English translation but is related to the lime tree species.  Also, I’ve been eating coconuts, mangos, bread fruit, bananas, and plantains straight from the trees. 

I’ve been practicing Kweyol a lot.  My host family constantly quizzes me or tells me phrases to help me learn it quicker.  Almost all the adults of the Carib Territory mainly speak Kweyol/Patwa so it will be crucial for me to learn it.  I’ve definitely picked up a decent amount of Kweyol/Patwa in a short period of time so hopefully I will continue on that trend.                

Just in case you were wondering, I did indeed get to watch the big Packers’ win live over the Steelers!  I brought Packer gear as gifts for my host family to wear to assist me in cheering on the Green and Gold.  None of them had ever watched American Football so it was a great way to share some of my American culture with them!  


Hope all is well with you all and thanks again for your support!

Joseph Bridwell


2 comments:

  1. I hope everything is going well with you. I'm seeing Steven today, taking him to a dental appointment. I'm also driving him back to Lacrosse on Sunday. Drop me a line on my Facebook page, let me know how you are doing.

    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Joey!It's Delaney Bondoc. I hope you are having a great time! We miss you at West Side!!!

    ReplyDelete